4 thick slices of beef shin
a fat pinch of saffron
2 tbsp butter
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
half tsp fennel seed
2 tbsp tomato puree
1lb/500g chopped tomatoes
For the gremolata:
half a lemon
small bunch of parsley
a small clove of garlic
Serving suggestions: couscous or bulgur wheat or rice
- Season the flour with salt & pepper & dip the shin in it. Put the saffron in the fizz to soak.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a large frying pan & brown shin on both sides - then remove and place in slow cooker or casserole dish. Add some water to the pan and pour the juices over the shin.
- Heat the rest of the butter in the pan and add the onion, carrot, celery & fennel seed. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the fizz & saffron, then stir the tomatoes and puree. Add the shin, cover and cook gently for 3-5 hours. Simmer until the sauce is thick and unctuous. taste & adjust the seasoning.
- Zes the lemon or finely chop. Chop the parsley and garlic and mix with the zest.
- Serve the shin with the gremolata sprinkled over